My husband LOVES video games and I do not. LOL. However, we have been doing a study in our Sunday school class about marriage and his need for “shoulder to shoulder” time…or simply put, time to play WITH his wife. So…I thought about it and picked a computer game that I thought would be fun, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.
Product: Roller Coaster tycoon 3 Platinum (it has 3 amusement parks; roller coaster tycoon 3, soaked, and wild.)
Where to Buy: We bought it for a bargain at the going out of business sale at CompUSA, but you can buy it at any electronics or game store, I am sure.
Price: Between $25-$30 maybe less if there are still some left at CompUSA!
Review: Once my husband and I actually got it installed it is a blast! There are so many things you can do! It has challenges, custom events, a no limits option, and more. You can make a regular amusement park, a zoo, a water park, or a combination…oh, and making coasters is COOL!
It is very user friendly and great for the whole family. It is rated “E” for everyone. I think it’s a great gift for a teenager as well. It teaches them about money management and problem solving skills…especially the challenges.
I would recommend the game to anyone. And, go ahead and pay the extra few dollars to get the two additional parks…it makes for more excitement and adventures!
Cons: Unfortunately, there is one big con. We almost gave up. However, there is a fix that I will include at the end of this review. This game is not compatible with Vista UNLESS you use the fix. You will get an annoying error message and will be unable to play the game. This was a real pain, and I had to search and search and try a few fixes before I found a simple one that WORKED! I think Atari needs to get this little glitch fixed. For now though…
The Windows Vista/Dual Core Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Platinum Installation Fix
(note: you can iuse this for regular RCT3 too. Your file will be RCT3.exe instead of RCT3plus.exe
It is VERY IMPORTANT that you follow these directions exactly, otherwise you will have to uninstall the entire game and start all over again.
1. Install the Game.
2. After installation do NOT try to start the game.
3. Delete the desk top shortcut.
4. Then, go into your Atari files located in folder C:Program FilesAtariRollercoaster Tycoon 3 and rename RTC3plus.exe to RCT3plus.old. (DO NOT try and delete or override the file. It will NOT work! I tried it. You MUST rename the file.)
5. Then, after you have renamed the file, go to…
For RCT3 Platinum – http://www.securom.com/support/customers/atari/RCT3_wild_t147/rct3plus.zip
For RCT3 regular – http://www.securom.com/support/customers/infogrames/RCT3_t020bl/rct3.zip
These links will open a blank web page and a file download window.
6. From the file download window click open, extract the new RCT3.exe or RCT3plus.exe into the original’s folder (where the file you renamed is). OR, you can extract it to your desk top and then open the file, and then drag it into the folder. Whatever is easier for you.
7. Either way, once you have done this, right click on the new RCT3.exe or RCT3plus.exe and create a shortcut to your desk top. (You MUST make sure the old one was deleted or you will mess everything up and have to start all over!)
8. Once you have done this, close all programs, and restart your computer. Once you get back to your desk top, click on your new shortcut and you should be good to go!
If you run into any problems, uninstall and retry. You can also try and visit the roller coaster tycoon forums (rollercoastertycoon3.com)