The definition of an audio capacitor is: it’s an electrical circuit which is used to store charge temporarily. You should not confuse it with a battery, because a cap holds temporarily a charge. It consists of two plates of metal which are separated by a dielectric.
The new types of capacitors on the market come in a cylindrical shape of about three inches in diameter and about a foot long. There are also audio capacitors in rectangular shapes available for different technologies. There is a negative and a positive terminal that turns on or off the LCD display. It’s not important the shape they come in, but these capacitors are designed for one thing, which is storage of the electrical power.
An audio capacitor can charge and discharge very fast and thus, stabilizing the voltage to the amplifier. By doing the stabilization on the voltage, you help the amplifier reduce distortion and produce more power consistently.
More about capacitors for your car
1. Audio capacitors can accumulate power whenever it is not required.
2. When the demand for power exceeds the supply capacity of the power system of the car, then this power accumulated by the capacitor is released.
3. A car audio capacitor usually ranges from 0.5 farads to 3 farads.
4. It is needed to ensure the good functioning of the amplifier.
5. If you install it, you have to be sure it complements your amplifier. And, as well, you also need to place the capacitor as near as possible to the amplifier.
6. To 500 RMS of power output you need a capacitor of 0.5 farads.
Do you need a car audio capacitor?
You have a problem when you see this particular symptom: Headlights dimming. If your system has trouble with the headlights dimming, that means that a capacitor is needed. Get a cap. This is a pretty good guess but it’s not always true and certainly it’s not a guaranteed cure. With this being said, it’s also important that, before installation of a capacitor it’s generally best to install the audio equipment. In this case you will be able to see which symptoms need to be remedied and assess the severity of the symptoms. This way you will also know how much capacitance would be beneficial.
Get one that fits your needs!
Today’s market has a large range of capacitors that fit your system:
– For mid-level systems (1000 watts maximum), you need a 1 Farad capacitor.
– For 1000 – 2000w systems, you need 1.1 to 1.9 Farad capacitor.
– For 2000 – 3000w systems, you need 2 to 2.9 Farad capacitor.
– For high power (over 5000 watt) systems, you need 5+ Farad capacitor.
An audio capacitor is especially important for amplified systems that are highly powered. With a new and improved capacitor wired into the system, your amplifier will do the best job in playing at high volumes, and with the help of it, you’ll avoid the well-known side effects like the lights dimming when the music is very loud.
Now why not choose an audio capacitor that brings the best in a system?
There are numerous capacitors on the market, but why not choose wisely? After all, it’s for your own joy that you deserve!