5 Reasons Why You Need a Laptop For College
There are many reasons to own a laptop computer, especially so for newly college bound students. For parents looking to find a perfect graduation gift for their children, a laptop computer is one of the greatest investments you can make in a student’s education. Even with the state of the economy, when budgets are tight, laptops are inexpensive and easily attainable for many families. Their portability and abundant benefits and functions are sure to be appreciated by all students.
Below are the top five reasons why a college student should own a laptop:
- Completing Web Based Assignments:The most important reason to own a laptop is to get your school work done. In an increasingly technological age, more and more schoolwork is becoming web-based. College schedules require students to be constantly on the go, so an advantage of owning a portable computer, or a laptop, is that you can connect to the internet virtually anywhere and complete any assignments without worry. Most colleges provide free wireless internet throughout the campus making it a very laptop friendly community. Depending on certain areas of study, some majors and classes involve using computers in class and working in various computer programs.
- Keeping in Touch: Oftentimes, college is the first time that many young men and women leave home. For the students who are moving away from home, it is a great way to keep in touch with family. Built in web cams and microphones are standard on most laptops and make it much more personal to communicate via the web! Students can take pictures and record videos, edit them and send them home for their family and friends to enjoy, completely paperless and without a single stamp or postage fee!
- Convenience and Style: Laptops are at the cutting edge of fashion. They are sleek, slim and stylish. They are lightweight and very portable. They have long battery life and use less energy than a desktop computer, so students will not have to worry about carrying multiple cords, plugging in constantly or running up an expensive electricity bill. There are also special laptop bags and backpacks available that provide protection for the laptop. They are also very affordable and stylish.
- Taking Notes: Students will be able to take notes directly onto their computers. In large lecture classes, the professors can be hard to keep up with when taking notes by hand. The built in microphone comes in handy to capture the lecture, and much more information can be recorded through a laptop with less time and effort. Professors also release their PowerPoints and digital notes to the students to follow along with, where you can make notes directly through your laptop computer. Electronic copies of textbooks are available that are often considerably less expensive than hard copies.
- Inexpensive and Affordable: In recent years, it has been more economical to purchase a desktop. However, prices have reduced significantly and for hundreds of dollars less than a desktop computer, a student can purchase a convenient, stylish and high quality laptop! With laptops students can store their music, movies, pictures and documents. It can be used for school as well and entertainment! Laptop computers have many functions and supply the user with plentiful storage, giving parents and students more bang for their buck.